Preparation at home

  • Pack carefully in original containers only, sealed and labeled, and placed in a cardboard carton.
  • Containers will not be returned to you.
  • Do not mix materials.
  • Limits
    • Liquid - 10 total gallons
    • (5 gal. container or less)
    • Solid - 20 total pounds
  • Place carefully in the car, to prevent tipping.
  • Drive carefully. Do Not Smoke while handling and transporting material.
  • Leave children and pets at home.

At collection Site:

  • Remain in your car.
  • Follow the directions of the on-site official.

Materials "not" acceptable:

  • Asbestos: Call SCRRRA at 860-381-5558 for the most current disposal information.
  • Propane Tanks: Return to your gas company or where the tank was purchased.
  • Alkaline Batteries: Throw out with household trash.
  • Explosives, Fireworks, Ammunition: Contact your police or fire department for proper disposal.
  • Marine Flares: DEP Marine Headquarters. Call 434-8638 for an appointment.
  • Water Reactive Material: Chemicals such as peroxides and metallic sodium. Contact your local Fire Marshal for proper disposal.
  • Radioactive Material: Items such as smoke detectors should be returned to the manufacturer.
  • PCBs: Contact SCRRRA at 860-381-5558 for the proper method of disposal.
  • Medications: Usually can be disposed of with trash. Contact the CT Department of Public Health at 860-509-7268 if in doubt.
  • Unknown Materials: Contact SCRRRA at 860-381-5558.
  • Infectious or Biologically Active Materials: Contact the Health Department at 860-448-4882

The following items are accepted at the Groton Transfer Station on Flanders Road with proof of Groton residency:

  • Auto batteries
  • Antifreeze
  • Leaves
  • Electronics
  • Fluorescent Light Bulbs
  • Used motor oil
  • Used oil filters
  • Scrap Metal
  • Pallets


Show All Answers

1. What are hazardous household wastes?
2. Why Collect?
3. What can we take?
4. Who is it for?
5. How?