Proof of residency is required
|April 9, 2016||Stonington||Highway Department
86 Alpha Avenue
|May 7, 2016||East Lyme||Town Feld Service Building
8 Capitol Drive
|June 4, 2016||Colchester||Johnston Middle School
360 Norwich Avenue
|June 18, 2016||Norwich||Public Works Garage
50 Clinton Ave.
|July 16, 2016||Groton||Flanders Road Transfer Station
685 Flanders Road
|August 13, 2016||Montville||Tyl Middle School
166 Chesterfield Road (off Route 163)
|August 27, 2016||Griswold||Griswold Highway Garage
1148 Voluntown Rd. Route 138 (East of Route 395)
|September 10, 2016||North Stonington||Superintendent’s Office
297 Route 2 (across Rt.2 from Wheeler Middle & High School)
|October 1, 2016||Ledyard||SCRRRA Office Gales Ferry
7 Hurlbutt Road (across from Job Lot)
For more information & questions about collections please contact Southeastern Connecticut Regional Resources Recovery Authority, 7 Hurlbutt Road Suite 1, Gales Ferry, CT 06335 www.SCRRRA.org. Phone: 860-381-5558 Fax: 860-381-5948.
Groton Residents can attend any one of these collections.
What are hazardous household wastes?
Hazardous household wastes are those wastes produced in our households that are hazardous in nature, but are not regulated as hazardous waste, under federal and state laws. Such consumer waste products, if carelessly managed can, and frequently do, create environmental and public health hazards. Hazardous household wastes should be disposed of properly by licensed professional haulers.
Hazardous household waste includes:
Dry cleaning fluid
Arts & crafts supplies
|Waxes and polishes
Oil based paint
Lead based paint
To protect our groundwater from contamination by hazardous wastes. When hazardous wastes are poured down the drain, dumped outside, or thrown in the trash, they eventually make their way into our water and air supply.
Hazardous materials which cannot be used up should be disposed of properly using licensed professional haulers. They have the facilities to incinerate, neutralize, store or recycle these items.
What can we take?
|From the House:||From the garage:||From the Workbench:||From the yard/garden:|
Dry cleaning fluids
|Fire starters cleaner
Old chemistry sets
Oil based paint
Lead based paint
Who is it for?
All Groton Residents, ID Required – Waste from residential sources only. NO COMMERCIAL USERS.
Preparation at home:
- Pack carefully in original containers only, sealed and labeled and placed in a cardboard carton.
- Containers will not be returned to you.
- Do not mix materials.
- Liquid – 10 total gallons
- (5 gal. container or less)
- Solid – 20 total pounds
- Place carefully in car, prevent tipping.
- Drive carefullly. Do Not Smoke while handling and transporting material.
- Leave children and pets at home.
At collection Site:
- Remain in your car.
- Follow directions of on-site official.
Materials “not” acceptable:
- Latex Paint: Dry out or add kitty litter & it can be safely disposed of in the trash.
- Asbestos: Call CT DEP at (860) 424-3366 for the most current disposal information.
- Propane Tanks: Return to your gas company or where tank was purchased.
- Empty Aerosol Cans: Empty aerosol cans may be disposed of with other trash.
- Alkaline Batteries: Throw out with household trash.
- Explosives, Fireworks, Ammunition: Contact your police or fire department for proper disposal.
- Marine Flares: DEP Marine Headquarters. Call 434-8638 for appointment.
- Water Reactive Material: Chemicals such as peroxides and metallic sodium. Contact your local Fire Marshal for proper disposal.
- Radioactive Material: Items such as smoke detectors should be returned to the manufacturer.
- PCB’s: Contact CT DEP at (860) 424-3368 for proper method of disposal.
- Medications: Usually can be disposed of with trash. Contact CT Dept. of Public Health at (860) 509-7268 if in doubt.
- Unknown Materials: Contact CT DEP at (860) 424-3365.
- Infectious or Biologically Active Materials: Contact the Health Department at (860) 448-4882
The following items are accepted at the Groton Transfer Station on Flanders Road with proof of Groton residency:
- Auto batteries
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs
- Used motor oil
- Used oil filters
- Scrap Metal
NO COMMERCIAL USERS