Hazardous Waste

Regional Household Hazardous Waste Day, Paper Shredding & Mercury Collection Schedule – 2020

Saturdays from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Proof of residency is required

Date Host Location
April 4, 2020 Stonington Highway Department
86 Alpha Avenue
May 2, 2020 New London New London High School
New London
June 6, 2020 Colchester Colchester Town Hall
127 Norwich Avenue
June 20, 2020 Norwich Norwich Public Works
50 Clinton Avenue
July 11, 2020 Groton Groton Transfer Station
685 Flanders Road
August 8, 2020 Montville Tyl Middle School
166 Chesterfield Road (off Route 163)
Oakdale (off Route 163)
September 12, 2020 North Stonington Wheeler Middle and High School
298 Route 2 (across Rt. 2 from Superintendents office)
October 17, 2020 Griswold Griswold Highway Garage
1148 Voluntown RoadRoute 138 (East of Route 395)
Route 138 (East of Route 395)
November 7, 2020 Ledyard Ledyard Transfer Station
889 Colonel Ledyard Hwy

For more information & questions about collections please contact Southeastern Connecticut Regional Resources Recovery Authority, 7 Hurlbutt Road Suite 1, Gales Ferry, CT 06335 www.SCRRRA.org. Phone: 860-381-5558 Fax: 860-381-5948.

Free and safe disposal.
Groton Residents can attend any one of these collections.

What are hazardous household wastes?
Hazardous household wastes are those wastes produced in our households that are hazardous in nature, but are not regulated as hazardous waste, under federal and state laws. Such consumer waste products, if carelessly managed can, and frequently do, create environmental and public health hazards. Hazardous household wastes should be disposed of properly by licensed professional haulers.

Hazardous household waste includes:

Drain cleaner
Metal polish
Dry cleaning fluid
Arts & crafts supplies
Oven cleaner
Photo chemicals
Floor cleaners
Fluorescent bulbs
Fire starters
Transmission fluid
Waxes and polishes
Brake fluid
Rust preventatives
Wood preservatives
Oil and Latex based paint
Lead based paint
Paint thinner
Rodent killers
Muriatic acid
Cesspool cleaners
Insert sprays
Pool Chemicals
No-pest strips
Wood strippers

Why Collect?
To protect our groundwater from contamination by hazardous wastes. When hazardous wastes are poured down the drain, dumped outside, or thrown in the trash, they eventually make their way into our water and air supply.

Hazardous materials which cannot be used up should be disposed of properly using licensed professional haulers. They have the facilities to incinerate, neutralize, store or recycle these items.

What can we take?

Acceptable Materials

From the House: From the garage: From the Workbench: From the yard/garden:
Drain cleaner
Oven Cleaner
Metal polish
Photo Chemicals
Dry cleaning fluids
Floor cleaners
Arts/crafts supplies
Florescent bulbs
Fire starters cleaner
Old chemistry sets
Waxes, polishes
Transmission fluid
Brake fluid
Rust preventatives
Wood preservatives
Oil and Latex based paint
Lead based paint
Empty Aerosol cans
Paint thinner
Wood strippers
Rodent killers
Muriatic acid
Insect sprays
Pool chemicals
No-pest strips

Who is it for?
All Groton Residents, ID Required – Waste from residential sources only. NO COMMERCIAL USERS.

Preparation at home:

  • Pack carefully in original containers only, sealed and labeled and placed in a cardboard carton.
  • Containers will not be returned to you.
  • Do not mix materials.
  • Limits
    • Liquid – 10 total gallons
    • (5 gal. container or less)
    • Solid – 20 total pounds
  • Place carefully in car, prevent tipping.
  • Drive carefullly. Do Not Smoke while handling and transporting material.
  • Leave children and pets at home.


At collection Site:

  • Remain in your car.
  • Follow directions of on-site official.


Materials “not” acceptable:

  • Asbestos: Call SCRRRA at (860) 381-5558 for the most current disposal information.
  • Propane Tanks: Return to your gas company or where tank was purchased.
  • Alkaline Batteries: Throw out with household trash.
  • Explosives, Fireworks, Ammunition: Contact your police or fire department for proper disposal.
  • Marine Flares: DEP Marine Headquarters. Call 434-8638 for appointment.
  • Water Reactive Material: Chemicals such as peroxides and metallic sodium. Contact your local Fire Marshal for proper disposal.
  • Radioactive Material: Items such as smoke detectors should be returned to the manufacturer.
  • PCB’s: Contact SCRRRA at (860) 381-5558 for proper method of disposal.
  • Medications: Usually can be disposed of with trash. Contact CT Dept. of Public Health at (860) 509-7268 if in doubt.
  • Unknown Materials: Contact SCRRRA at (860) 381-5558 .
  • Infectious or Biologically Active Materials: Contact the Health Department at (860) 448-4882


The following items are accepted at the Groton Transfer Station on Flanders Road with proof of Groton residency:

  • Auto batteries
  • Antifreeze
  • Leaves
  • Electronics
  • Fluorescent Light Bulbs
  • Used motor oil
  • Used oil filters
  • Scrap Metal
  • Pallets



Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak the Municipal Building has been closed to the public. All City functions can be performed via phone and by using the drop box in front of the building