|The plant was originally built in 1955. It was upgraded to secondary treatment in 1972 as part of the EPA Clean Water Act. There have been several more upgrades since that time to keep up with newer technologies. The plant treats an average flow of 2 (two) million gallons per day. There are approximately 36 miles of pipe to go along with 9 pump stations.
The plant and stations are monitored by plant operators 365 days a year. Operators must be licensed by the State of Connecticut. The City’s plant is rated as a Class IV, the highest grade for State standards. There is a staff of 5 Plant Operators and one Chief Plant Operator.
The City’s plant has received several awards by DEP & EPA for operations and maintenance, as well as Operator of the Year. The plant has also hosted a student from a local technical school for summer internship the last several years.